- When: September 8-10, 2017
- Where: The Rhode Island Convention Center and Dunkin’ Donuts Center
- Cost: Single day tickets are $30 for ages 3-15 and $60 for ages 16+. Three-Day tickets range from $75 for ages 3-15 to $165 for ages 16+. VIP packages also available.
- Get Tickets: Visit www.hascon.hasbro.com/tickets.
By Susan Gale
Do you have a child that is crazy for a Hasbro toy? This September they can take part in live interactive events with Hasbro brand characters during the first ever HASCON – a fan and family convention.
At the three-day event, you will hear actors, movie producers, voice talent, and Hasbro designers talk about the creativity and passion that goes into creating Hasbro and partner brand experiences.
“We are assembling the ultimate fan celebration, with three days of marquee talent, interactive activities, immersive experiences, game events, panel discussions, VIP events, and much more. We’re set to deliver an unforgettable experience for fans and families alike,” said John Frascotti, President of Hasbro Brands.
There will be appearances by some of the biggest names from Hasbro, including Dude Perfect and Stan Lee, the Marvel Comics legend. Voice talent appearing that the event includes Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, the original Transformers voices, and Andrea Libman and Cathy Weseluck, the voices of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and My Little Pony: The Movie.
Other talent includes James Gunn, writer and director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 and 2, and Stan Bush, who sings “The Touch” from Transformers: The Movie. HASCON will feature a headline performance by Multi-Platinum Grammy® Award-winning singer-songwriter Daya.
Fun things to do at HASCON
Some events will be the same for the duration of HASCON. Other events, such as panels and special guest appearances, will only happen at a specific time on a specific day. So be sure to check the schedule before choosing your days to go to the convention. Find the schedule at www.hascon.hasbro.com. Here are some events you can attend at HASCON:
- Hands-on, interactive experiences with oversized games such as Pie Face and Toilet Trouble from Hasbro Gaming.
- Taking photos with Sesame Street characters and Trolls.
- Witnessing epic Beyblade battles.
- Finding out how toys are made from the teams who create them.
- Playing in a Play-Doh creation zone.
- Visiting the My Little Pony magical world of Equestria.
- Taking photos with movie props and viewing movie costumes on display.
- Stepping into a custom-built NERF battle arena.
- Watching stage performances and music.
- Participating in Magic: The Gathering gameplay featuring an exclusive preview of the upcoming Iconic Masters card set.
- Auditioning for Hasbro commercials and voice talent on animated series – for youth fans, ages 3-15.
- Purchasing exclusive Hasbro toys and merchandise including new Transformers products.
- Taking part in activities inspired by several iconic Disney properties, including Disney Princess, Frozen, Elena of Avalor, Moana, and Descendants 2, as well as Star Wars and Marvel’s Avengers, Spider-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Hands-on fun through art tutorials and seeing some of the industry’s most recognized comic illustrators, artists, and designers though IDW Publishing’s Artist Alley.
- Taking part in cosplay activities.
- Participating in a Hasbro passport tour and scavenger hunt.
“Hasbro constantly strives for new ways to bring our storytelling to life and offer fans greater access to our brands, and HASCON is designed to bring attendees closer to Hasbro’s biggest properties than ever before,” said Frascotti.
For additional fees, fans can also take part in HASCON VIP packages, which offer 1-hour early access to the show floor to buy HASCON exclusive products from My Little Pony, Transformers, Dungeons and Dragons, as well as multi-convention exclusives from Star Wars, Marvel, and Magic: The Gathering.
VIP’s will also receive a Hasbro goodie bag, access to the VIP lounge, and an exclusive behind the scenes tour of Hasbro headquarters, in addition to one of the following exclusive events:
Friday, September 8
- Transformers Hall of Fame Dinner: Offers a surprise guest, sit-down dinner, performance by Stan Bush, and a sneak preview of select 2018 Transformers toys shared by the Transformers design and brand team. 6:30 pm.
- My Little Pony Mane Event: Hall of Our FANmily Dinner: Enter the world of Equestria. The HOOF inductees will include special guests and surprise honorees who have left their hoofprint on the brand. 6:30 pm.
- G.I. Joe Legends Dinner: Join co-emcees and G.I. Joe authors Derryl DePriest and Dan Klingensmith for an intimate and entertaining evening event featuring one of the greatest gatherings of G.I. Joe Legends ever assembled. 6:30 pm.
Saturday, September 9
- Stories with Stan: Stan Lee will share his tales about the creation of pop culture icons including Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, the X-Men, and many more. Receive lunch, a pre-signed autograph poster and a surprise gift. 11:30 am.
- Transformers: The Last Knight Movie Event: Join celebrities and producers, including Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Brian Goldner, to celebrate the home entertainment release and view special bonus footage. Receive light refreshments and a surprise celebrity video message. 6:15 pm.
- My Little Pony: The Movie Sneak Peek: Listen to film discussions with Head Storyteller Megan McCarthy and participate in a Q & A session with surprise celebrity talent, enjoy light refreshments, and enter a raffle for a chance to win My Little Pony merchandise. 6:15 pm.
Things you need to know
As parents, a big convention like this can be overwhelming. Here are some tips to have a smooth HASCON:
- Use the online schedule soon to plan your day or days. Then check back just before the event to make sure nothing has changed. View the schedule at www.hascon.hasbro.com.
- Consider planning a meet-up spot if you get separated from your children. Inform them who they should talk to if they become lost.
- Hasbro asks that you not bring personal items to be signed. Artists and talent will only sign event merchandise purchased on the day of the event. Proof of purchase, such as a valid HASCON receipt, may be required. The exception to this policy is for Magic: The Gathering cards where you may bring up to 10 cards to be signed per session.
- There will be no overnight queuing for sessions. HASCON will allow lining up one hour prior to doors opening.
Susan Gale is Founder and Publisher of Rhode Island Parent Magazine.